(Associate) Principal Scientist Bioinformatics Data Engineer (f/m/d)
Computational Biology and Digital Sciences is a global organization across multiple sites at Boehringer Ingelheim: Vienna (Austria), Biberach (Germany), and Ridgefield (USA). We are currently hiring a bioinformatics data engineer in Vienna, Austria for our data and infrastructure team. The main goal of the team is to create sustainable, globally integrated, FAIR data assets and services which allow data-driven drug development.
The bioinformatics data engineer drives the processing and integration of large and complex data sets that build the foundation for unlocking the full potential of these assets. This covers the entire data life cycle from the design to the data product. Large-scale omics (bulk/single cell NGS, proteomics) studies for preclinical drug discovery and development will represent the main data domain, complemented by functional screen (CRISPR), imaging, and rich phenotypic data. In addition, upcoming spatial *omics data types will be of particular interest.
Previous experience in developing applications that leverage complex high-dimensional data assets is considered a plus.
Tasks & responsibilities
- Development of the underlying data model in close alignment with other team members to enable the processing and integration of large and complex datasets
- Processing and integration of internal/external data sets while complying with the FAIR principles
- Data ownership and maintenance of data assets
- Contributing to ongoing processing pipeline standardization efforts
- Designing, implementing, and improving applications to visualize complex high-dimensional data sets is considered a plus
- Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, molecular biology, computer science or a related field with at least 2 years of relevant work experience
- Proficiency with large-scale omics studies (bulk/single cell NGS, proteomics) and associated bioinformatics tools and methods
- Experience in modelling high-dimensional biomedical data sets and enforcing FAIR data standards
- Strong hands-on skills in a high-level programming language such as R or Python and different compute environments (HPC, cloud computing, database systems, containerization)
- Experience in developing innovative visualization approaches, preferably in the biomedical field, is a plus
- Position specific training opportunities for your personal and professional growth
- Comprehensive health promotion, sustaining your health in the best possible way
- Additional off-days (bridge-days) for more leisure time
- Company pension scheme, because your future matters
- Staff restaurant with a variety of lunch options for your daily well-being
Why Boehringer Ingelheim?
- Breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions for both humans and animals
- As a family owned company, we take the long view and stand for stability and sustainability
- Talented and ambitious teams, living innovation and growing together
- 52,000 employees globally, 2,600 in Vienna
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities.
Effects of Covid-19
We will continue to hire talented people and we look forward to receiving your applications. For applicants, virtual video interviews will initially take place. During the limited in-person interviews we still have during this time, we pay special attention to distance and the recommended hygiene rules. We warmly welcome new employees to our 3-day onboarding event, which takes place in the form of an online event.
We are looking forward to receiving your application online!
By uploading your application documents via our application portal we can treat your data confidentially and in compliance with the GDPR.
Ready to contact us? Do you have any additional questions about the position? Your HR Recruiting Manager for this position is Sonia Arzt.
On our career site you will find many interesting facts about us as an employer as well as information about the application process or our diverse divisions. Take a look behind the scenes and get an insight into our day-to-day business.
If the position is not relevant for you, but might be interesting for someone you know, you can still forward it to friends or colleagues.
- Experience Level Professional (3-7 years)
- Academic Degree University / FH
- Fields of Study Biology, Data Science / Bioinformatics, Life Sciences, Medicine, Natural Sciences in general
- Job-Reihung Standard