(Associate) Principal Scientist Bioinformatics Software Engineer (m/f/d)
Computational Biology and Digital Sciences is a global organization across multiple sites at Boehringer Ingelheim: Vienna, Austria, Biberach Germany and Ridgefield USA. We are currently hiring a bioinformatics software engineer in Vienna, Austria for our global data and infrastructure team.
The bioinformatics software engineer drives the design and implementation of automated computational biology processing pipelines as well as continually improves the pipeline setup with a focus on reproducibility, scalability, as well as ease of use. Furthermore, she/he supports the processing and integration of large and complex data sets and helps to make data as well as analyses available in interactive web applications.
Large scale omics (NGS, proteomics) studies for preclinical drug discovery and development will represent the main data domain, complemented by functional screen (CRISPR), imaging, and rich phenotypic data.
Tasks & responsibilities
- Design, implement and improve automated processing pipelines and the underlying framework for advanced data analytics, focusing on reproducibility, scalability and ease of use
- Integrate processing pipelines with other systems, including APIs and databases
- Support processing and integration of large and complex datasets
- Support the design and development of interactive software applications for data management, visualization, and analysis
- Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, molecular biology, computer science or a related field with 2 years of relevant experience
- Extensive experience in developing automated processing pipelines (preferably using Nextflow) and in large-scale data processing
- Proficient with Linux environment, high performance computing clusters, cloud computing (preferably AWS), database systems and containerization (Docker, Singularity)
- In-depth understanding of bioinformatics tools, methods and data, as well as FAIR principles
- Position specific training opportunities for your personal and professional growth
- Comprehensive health promotion, sustaining your health in the best possible way
- Additional off-days (bridge-days) for more leisure time
- Company pension scheme, because your future matters
- Staff restaurant with a variety of lunch options for your daily well-being
Why Boehringer Ingelheim?
- Breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions for both humans and animals
- As a family owned company, we take the long view and stand for stability and sustainability
- Talented and ambitious teams, living innovation and growing together
- 50,000 employees globally, 2,600 in Vienna
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities.
Effects of Covid-19
We will continue to hire talented people and we look forward to receiving your applications. For applicants, virtual video interviews will initially take place. During the limited in-person interviews we still have during this time, we pay special attention to distance and the recommended hygiene rules. We warmly welcome new employees to our 3-day onboarding event, which takes place in the form of an online event.
We are looking forward to receiving your application online! By uploading your application documents via our application portal we can treat your data confidentially and in compliance with the GDPR.
Ready to contact us? Do you have any additional questions about the position? Your HR Recruiting Manager for this position is Gerlinde Leiss.
On our career site you will find many interesting facts about us as an employer as well as information about the application process or our diverse divisions. Take a look behind the scenes and get an insight into our day-to-day business.
If the position is not relevant for you, but might be interesting for someone you know, you can still forward it to friends or colleagues.
- Experience Level Junior (1-3 years), Professional (3-7 years)
- Academic Degree University / FH
- Fields of Study Biology, Data Science / Bioinformatics, Life Sciences, Natural Sciences in general
- Job-Reihung Standard