(Associate) Principal Scientist Knowledge Engineer (m/f/d)
Computational Biology and Digital Sciences is a global organization across multiple sites at Boehringer Ingelheim: Vienna, Austria, Biberach Germany and Ridgefield USA. We are currently hiring a bioinformatics software engineer in Vienna, Austria for our global data and infrastructure team.
As a knowledge engineer you will create a bridge between data and business requirements, drive new capabilities for reuse of cross domain data and information to help deliver efficient and scalable technology solutions for the development of cancer therapeutics. Together with computational biologist, data stewards and data engineers you will integrate data from different omics domain. Furthermore, you will support provisioning and development of controlled vocabularies, taxonomies, and ontologies to semantically enrich metadata.
Tasks & responsibilities
- Working closely with subject matter experts and computational biologists, identify and develop ontology assets and semantic models to represent various omics data domains
- Together with IT colleagues, establish and improve ontology management/governance processes
- Enforce implementation of FAIR principles to knowledge models
- Integrating omics data from different sources to the knowledge models
- Development and maintenance of processes and assets for virtual knowledge graphs
- Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, molecular biology, computer science or related fields with 2 years of relevant experience
- Strong analytical skills, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret business needs
- Strong programming skills (Python, R, Julia) and data engineering skills (SQL)
- Deep knowledge of semantic technologies (SPARQL, RDF, OWL, SHACL, R2RML)
- Experience with developing complex taxonomies, thesauri, and ontologies
- Successful implementation of various aspect of the FAIR principles at a previous work engagement
- Understanding of omics data in preclinical drug discovery and development (RNA-Seq, DNA-Seq, proteomics, etc)
- Position specific training opportunities for your personal and professional growth
- Comprehensive health promotion, sustaining your health in the best possible way
- Additional off-days (bridge-days) for more leisure time
- Company pension scheme, because your future matters
- Staff restaurant with a variety of lunch options for your daily well-being
Why Boehringer Ingelheim?
- Breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions for both humans and animals
- As a family owned company, we take the long view and stand for stability and sustainability
- Talented and ambitious teams, living innovation and growing together
- 50,000 employees globally, 2,600 in Vienna
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities.
Effecta of Covid -19
We will continue to hire talented people and we look forward to receiving your applications. For applicants, virtual video interviews will initially take place. During the limited in-person interviews we still have during this time, we pay special attention to distance and the recommended hygiene rules. We warmly welcome new employees to our 3-day onboarding event, which takes place in the form of an online event.
We are looking forward to receiving your application online!
By uploading your application documents via our application portal we can treat your data confidentially and in compliance with the GDPR.
Ready to contact us? Do you have any additional questions about the position? Your HR Recruiting Manager for this position is Gerlinde Leiss.
If the position is not relevant for you, but might be interesting for someone you know, you can still forward it to friends or colleagues.
Tob – Research & Development
Primary Locatuon -Europe-AT-Vienna-Vienna
Organization – AT-Boehringer Ingelheim Regional Center Vienna GmbH & Co KG (Austria)
- Experience Level Professional (3-7 years), Expert ( >7 years)
- Academic Degree University / FH
- Fields of Study Biology, Data Science / Bioinformatics, Life Sciences, Natural Sciences in general
- Job-Reihung Standard