We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Health & Bioresources in Vienna invites applications for a:
PhD Thesis – Functional hydrogels for a roll-to-roll manufactured “lab-on-foil” system for pathogen detection
- Our AIT-PhD Programme is carried out in cooperation with national or international universities and offers you the opportunity to conduct your dissertation in collaboration with our experts and our national and international project partners from the industry or other research organizations. Thus, you have the chance to develop “out-of-the-box” solutions for real-world problems: Let’s make ideas work!
- This PhD project is scheduled for three years and is part of the research project “HydroChip2”.
- The goal of this doctoral thesis is to create functional microfluidics, fabricated via roll-to-roll techniques allowing the identification of periodontal germs in the laboratory on film. The functionality of the microfluidics is ensured by roll-to-roll compatible microspotting of DNA capture molecules and hydrogel inks to integrate reagents in reservoirs. Novel ionic liquid-based reagents are produced to perform on-chip lysis of bacteria, greatly simplifying the lysis process. The development of 3D-structured nanoelectrodes should enable the detection of ribosomal bacterial RNA in the microfluidic channel with high sensitivity.
- Together with team of experts, you will focus on the fabrication and development of point-of-care devices for bacterial identification.
- You will support your colleagues in the development of hydrogel reservoirs, which will be placed on the foil-based system and filled with different reagents for the enzymatic detection of ribosomal bacterial RNA.
- You will optimize and compare the sensitivity of the detection methods, including chemiluminescence, chronoamperometry, and electrochemiluminescence, at various stages of the point-of-care system development.
- You will be responsible for planning, conducting, evaluating scientific studies and for summarizing the results for various documentations and presentations.
- Through your research, you will have the chance to become scientific expert in your field, will be able to build your own scientific network and be in constant contact with an international research community.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner*:
- Master’s degree in the field of chemistry
- Good basic knowledge in organic chemistry, materials chemistry and physical chemistry
- Strong interest in synthesis, characterization (e.g. with AFM, SEM, FTIR) and processing (e.g. by spotter or dispenser) of new materials
- Interest in scientific and interdisciplinary teamwork
- Ability to communicate and work in a team, willingness to work independently and responsibly
- Enthusiasm for research and unconventional solutions, creativity and visionary power
- Very good English knowledge, spoken and written; German knowledge would be an advantage
What to expect:
31.326,4 gross per year for 30 hours/week, for 36 months. There are additional company benefits. You will be part of our international AIT PhD community and participate in our AIT PhD framework programme. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly.At AIT, the promotion of young female scientists is important to us – that’s why we are especially looking forward to applications from female candidates.
TOMORROW TODAY – WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including CV, a short motivation letter and a transcript of your lectures taken, online
- Experience Level Entry Level (0-1 year), Junior (1-3 years)
- Academic Degree University / FH
- Fields of Study Chemistry, Technical Bio-Sciences
- Job-Reihung Standard