The Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft (LBG) is a research institution with a thematic focus on medicine, life sciences and the humanities, and is specifically targeting new research topics in Austria. Together with academic and implementing partners, the LBG is currently running 20 institutes and develops and tests new forms of collaboration between science and non-scientific actors such as companies, the public sector and civil society. The LBG employs 550 people. The LBG is seeking to hire a full-time Research Group Leader (40 hours/week) for the newly established research group “Senescence and Healing of Wounds” (SHoW). SHoW aims to investigate the role of senescent cells in skin wounds whose healing progress has been compromised. The research group’s thematic focus is the outcome of an Open Innovation in Science priority setting process conducted by the LBG in collaboration with interested publics. The group will be located at the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Experimental and Clinical Traumatology (LBI Trauma) in the “Traumazentrum Wien – Standort Lorenz Böhler”, which provides laboratory and office infrastructure. Supported by an Open Innovation in Science approach, the SHoW research group shall work toward clinically relevant outcomes. The research group leader will report to SHoW’s scientific director Prof. Heinz Redl and co-director Dr. Raffael Himmelsbach (open innovation). Main tasks
- Management of the biological research activities, including the development of a detailed research program within the area of cellular senescence and non-healing skin wounds
- Hiring and supervision of coworkers/predocs;
- Academic publishing and conferencing;
- Active participation and contribution to the group’s open innovation and translation activities;
- Contribution to the organizational and social life of the LBI Trauma, such as attending management meetings.
- At least two years of postdoctoral experience in addition to a completed doctorate in a cell biology related field;
- A solid academic publishing track record related to aging/senescence or wound healing;
- International academic work experience;
- Two years or more experience in supervising predoc researchers;
- An interest in open innovation and public engagement in science;
- Communication and presentation skills
- Broad intellectual curiosity and good social skills to positively impact a transdisciplinary project.
Terms of employment This position is an exciting opportunity to advance your career in a dynamic environment. We offer a 4-year contract, including a one-month probation period, starting October 1st, 2020. The offered gross annual salary is between EUR 54’453 and EUR 60’000 depending on qualifications, for 40 hours per week. Five weeks of paid vacation time are included. Cost compensation for international relocation is negotiable. As a research group leader, you are eligible for career development support from the LBG’s inhouse career service. Application Applications must be submitted by e-mail to Dr. Raffael Himmelsbach email@example.com and must include a letter of motivation, an academic CV and a list of publications. Please indicate possible career interruptions due to childcare obligations. In addition, names and contact details of two references must be submitted. The application deadline is August 7th, 2020, 10:00 CET. We look forward to receiving your application and getting to know you personally!
- Experience Level Professional (3-7 years), Expert ( >7 years)
- Academic Degree University / FH
- Fields of Study Technical Bio-Sciences, Life Sciences, Medicine, Natural Sciences in general
- Job-Reihung Standard