About X4 Pharmaceuticals
X4 is focused on restoring healthy immune system function by developing novel therapeutics for the treatment of rare diseases.
Our oral, small molecule therapeutics are antagonists of chemokine receptor CXCR4, which have the potential to treat a broad range of rare diseases, including primary immunodeficiencies (PIs) and cancer. A number of PIs are attributed to the improper trafficking of immune cells related to the CXCR4 receptor and its ligand CXCL12.
X4 Pharmaceutical’s lead product candidate, mavorixafor (X4P-001), is a once daily, oral inhibitor of CXCR4, currently in a Phase 3 clinical trial for the treatment of WHIM syndrome, a rare, inherited, primary immunodeficiency disease caused by genetic mutations in the CXCR4 receptor gene. Mavorixafor has demonstrated proof-of-concept in WHIM syndrome in a Phase 2 trial, including clinically meaningful increases in neutrophil and lymphocyte biomarker counts, as well as a trend of reduction in infection rates and wart burden, and a favorable safety profile. Mavorixafor was recently granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of adult patients with WHIM syndrome, and was granted orphan drug status by the FDA in 2018 and by the European Comission in 2019 for the treatment of WHIM syndrome.
Mavorixador is also being developed by X4 to treat Severe Congenital Neutropenia (SCN), Waldenström’s macroglobulinemia (WM), and clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC).
X4’s research and development facility in Vienna, Austria, X4 Pharmaceuticals (Austria) GmbH is located on Campus Vienna Biocenter and is run by a team of highly motivated scientists and technicians who are dedicated to build a Center of Research Excellence in the field of small molecule therapeutics.
X4 Pharmaceuticals (Austria) GmbH is currently offering a full-time employment contract for a
Scientist – Discovery Department.
Summary of the position:
The Scientist – Discovery Department will contribute to the identification, validation and characterization of novel PID targets and therapeutics, with a focus on WHIM and severe congenital neutropenia.
Scope of work:
• Identify new target gene/pathway candidates based on genetic screening and patient population data
• Explore the genotype/phenotype correlation using recombinant cell systems and patient samples
• Design, implement and develop in vitro and ex vivo assays for functional and pharmacological target validation
• Develop high-throughput assays for hit identification
• Perform detailed mode of action studies to guide lead selection
• Present data at internal and external meetings
• Write reports and scientific publications
Qualifications and skills:
• PhD in Immunology, Cell Biology, or Bioinformatics with at least two years of post-doctoral experience or corresponding industrial experience
• Scientific rigor and strong analytical skills
• Good understanding of immune disease pathways, immune cell biology and infection biology
• Strong hands/on experience with genetic manipulation, mammalian cell culture and phenotypic studies
• Familiarity with bioinformatics workflows
• Experience with confocal microscopy, iPSC handling, FACS and/or genetic data mining is beneficial
• Ability to supervise and train laboratory staff
We are offering:
• A strong, dedicated and multinational team of scientists and technicians
• An open, transparent and collegial working environment
• Opportunities for your personal development and to play a key role in a growing international research center
• Opportunity to work at the interface of pre-clinical research and clinical translational science
In accordance with Austrian employment law, the minimum monthly gross salary for the position is EUR 3.428,19 which we are willing to adjust according to your qualifications, skills and expertise.
Please send your resume and cover letter in English to email@example.com
Please read our X4 Pharmaceuticals (Austria) GmbH Privacy Notice for Applicants, which you will find on our website by following this link: https://www.x4pharma.com/careers/
- Experience Level Junior (1-3 years), Professional (3-7 years)
- Academic Degree University / FH
- Fields of Study Biology, Chemistry, Technical Bio-Sciences, Data Science / Bioinformatics, Life Sciences, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine
- Job-Reihung Standard